2012年11月7日水曜日

why body education? III


[Colds and their Benefits]

 Noguchi wrote a book called "Colds and their Benefits" a half century ago. I think this book describes his philosophy well. Simplifying what written in the book in one sentence, "you catch colds because you need. And going through a pass-through process, you will be refreshed."  Sound good, doesn't it?  And many people understood and still understand Seitai as a natural healing art. I do not say this recognition of Seitai is wrong. But if you read the book carefully, you will find that this is the book on education. Over 30 years ago, I was working at an american college program in Kyoto as mentioned in part I of this essay.  Many students were experiencing what I called "culture shock fever" when they came into a new culture and this is what exactly happened to me in my intercultural experience. This phenomena can be explained easily as an adjustment phase one goes through. It interests me a lot  and eventually led me to the world of  Seitai.
 Now I have got to the starting point.
 (to be continued)